Overall job purpose
The AMS-IX Senior System Engineer works within the Technical team (Delivery and Operations) where he/she ads experience and knowledge in the area of system operations and applications. The Senior System Engineer defines the strategy with regard to the deployment of servers and storage, supporting the different applications that make up the ecosystem of the Exchange services and support systems.
The Senior Systems Engineer is responsible for the design, implementation and operations of new servers, storage and firewall technologies. With regards to the firewalls and other security-related features, the Senior Systems Engineer works
closely with the Information Security team (Officer or Engineer).
- Oversees and performs day-to-day operations
The Senior Systems Engineer manages the Lifecycle of the company Linux-based baselines. The Senior Systems Engineer manages the systems infrastructure using Configuration Management Software, like Ansible and Puppet. The Senior Systems Engineer manages the following services: DNS, DHCP, PostgreSQL Database Cluster, Email and Mailing lists, Palo Alto Firewalls, Virtualisation software (Proxmox), Gitlab, Load Balancers (HAProxy and Nginx), Containers, Monitoring Software (CheckMK), ELK based solution, Web Servers (Apache and Nginx). Additionally, the Senior Systems Engineer keeps track and upgrades the Office software running on a Linux box, e.g. Jira, Confluence, JAMF, Seafile, etc.
- Supports Tech team
The Senior Systems Engineer assists the NOC and Software development teams by supporting the platform where a server is involved, e.g. the monitor servers, firewalls, Gitlab and containers. The Senior Systems Engineer solves critical/warning alerts related to storage, services, SSL certificates, bad performance, etc. The Senior Systems Engineer installs new bare metal servers, creates new virtual servers and also supports outsourced services e.g. the company website, the MORE-IP website and the peering-forum.eu website, and in general all the outsourced works that require AMS-IX’s aid.
- Acts as a Subject Matter Expert (SME)
The Senior Systems Engineer is involved in all the new projects (e.g. IXaaS), by offering advice on new products and by doing Research and Development (R+D), looking always for the organisation’s best tailored systems infrastructure.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Information Technology or related field
- Good knowledge of English (written and spoken); Knowledge of Dutch is a plus
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a similar position within a Telecom/ISP or data centre environment
- A solid IT background, especially in systems
- Experience with project management and scrum
- Good knowledge of systems hardware; DELL/HP/Supermicro servers, DELL/Synology storage (NAS/SAN), firewalls (Palo Alto)
- Good Knowledge of software defined storage (Ceph, Gluster is a plus)
- Good Knowledge of mail gateways (Cisco ESA)
- Good knowledge of scripting languages like Bash, Python and/or Perl
- Good knowledge of configuration management software, Ansible and Puppet
- Good knowledge of Red Hat Enterprise Linux or CentOS and Debian, Microsoft Windows Server is a plus
- Eager to solve problems
- Able to work independently as well as within a team
- Eager to learn
- Able to multitask
- Good eye for detail